Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Our First Baby Shower


We had our first baby shower last Saturday (Dec 3) at the Matheney Home. We are thankful for them hosting the shindig.

Baby showers are fun moments of games, cake, punch, finger foods, gifts, and lots of paper tissue. In our society it has always been that usually the mother attends these showers while the dads attended to their daily duties such as plowing the field, hunting for food, or other manly things.

But our showers will be different, mainly because I will be there. I am an involved dad; one that wants to be a part of important family events. Not to mention that I was encouraged by my lovely 28 week pregnant wife. I knew I wouldn’t miss this exciting day.

There are those who still don't believe that I attended such an affair as this. But who would miss exciting games such as Baby bingo (which I came in a close 4th). I thought I would includes pictures with me to show and encourage other men to drop the plow and take off the coon fur cap and go with their expectant wives to these exciting showers.

The first picture was us and the cake. By the way, that was a very tasty cake. It was the kind with the whipped icing. I had about 2 pieces (okay 3) but whose counting anyway. Our main focus is to share our shower experience and my involvement with it. The picture to the right shows the special moment as the two of us held the cake together. It said “Congratulations Mark and Phoebe.”

Well that picture wasn’t the one I intended to use. I now realize that the picture with both of us is still on the Matheney camera. But truth be told, I am in this picture, just behind the camera. But the cake wouldn’t have had my name on it if I wasn’t there. No worry, I have more pictures of my involvement.

After the cake and goodies, it was time to gather around and open the gifts that the guest brought. I mean a lot to me that people cared out us and little Anna. I even chose to sit at the right had of Phoebe and help her open the gifts. I was even honored with the task of writing down the gifts and the gift givers.

Phoebe’s mom and sister (Sarah) drove 150 miles up to the shower. It was Sarah who took all these fine pictures of us opening the presents together. I am glad she did. It helps me to show that I was truly right in the middle of things.

Thanks to all that attend this shower. Thanks again to the Matheney’s. My hope today that other expectant fathers will see my example and be more involved in gatherings such as this.

In closing, I hope you all enjoy these pictures and postings. I especially enjoy posting them. We are glad that you are involved in this special time in our lives.

(Disclaimer: Phoebe takes no credit for this posting but was grateful for the shower and for those that attended.)

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I thought I had taught you better, Mark. I am truly dissappointed. Wedding showers I can somewhat understand...'cause sometimes the guy will get a hammer or something. But baby showers? C'mon Mark! That's all girls' stuff...we had nothing to do with it! :o)
Aaron