Thursday, June 01, 2006

Errands (Ugh!)

Errands. The word I am growing to despise. I had to run out today for a number of reasons. Wal-Mart was last on my stop. On my way there, it began to rain. I told myself, “You can do this. You’re already out, so let’s just get it over with.” Big mistake. Anna was already hungry and tired and by the time we got parked, it was coming a torrential downpour. I sat in the car trying to decide what I was going to do. Carrying the car seat with her in it, plus an umbrella was out of the question. I can barely carry the car seat by itself. So, I decided since I only had a few items to get, I would just carry her in, get one of those small blue baskets, and be on my way. Yet again, big mistake.

I got out of the car, the wind was blowing my umbrella to and fro, I was leaned in the backseat trying to get her out, meanwhile my backend was getting drenched. So, I decided to drape the umbrella over the door… didn’t work. By the time I finally made it inside with her, my purse, her diaper bag, the grocery list, and the umbrella, we were drenched. Should’ve just carried the car seat… Now I’m in the predicament of shopping while holding her and a blue basket. So, I decided that I would get a regular shopping cart and try putting her in the front like a big kid. Oh no, she fell over, screaming in the middle of the baby food aisle. So, here I am now holding her, trying to find baby food since I had a coupon: $1 off 12 first foods. So, since we’re soon fixing to tackle the task of baby food, I decided to go ahead and stock up – after all, it was like getting 3 free.

So, I pick up the rest of the grocery items, my pictures, and head to get soap and toothpaste of where Anna begins to throw a fit, as if to say "Give me food!" People are starring and I’m saying “Please, not now. Just wait five minutes.” Unknowingly I said it audibly because some lady was looking at me like I was the most horrid mother in the world. While toothpaste and soap could technicallybe done without for a few days, I’m quite sure that’s more than less desirable to those that we’re around. So, I just pick up the first things I can find, throw them in the cart, and head to check out – people still starring at me carrying a screaming baby while trying to get the buggy to steer in the correct direction with one hand.

I put my items on the belt thingy to be checked out and the lady says “This coupon is for Gerber. You got DelMonte.” By this point, I simply did not care, “That’s fine.” I said. Forget the 3 free, I had a crying baby, a sore arm, and still had to figure out how I was going to get all this stuff back to the car. The cashier was very thoughtful, asking “Do you need help to your car?” Being the stubborn person I am, I reply “No thanks, I got it.” Once again, big mistake. With her screaming the entire way, it was as if we were attention magnets. Haven’t you people ever seen a screaming baby?!? I finally get to the car, sit her in her car seat, and begin to load the trunk. I notice someone is waiting on my parking spot, so I begin to hurry even more. I shut the back door, get in the front, and realize I never buckled Anna in. So, I got back out, buckled her in, and listened to her scream the entire way home.

Needless to say, I won’t be trying that again for quite some time.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Girl all I have to say is WELCOME TO MOTHERHOOD!!!! Girl try doing that with 2 kids age 1 and Anna's age. Girl I tell ya, its crazy. I feel for ya. We are women here us roar. They be more to endure the older they get but love every decond of it.